Volleyball is one of the world's most popular team sports
The main objective of volleyball is to stop the ball hitting the ground anywhere on your side of the net with just three touches - whilst trying to make it hit the ground on your opponent’s side of the court.
A brief overview of the game
- An official volleyball court is 18m x 9m
- The server stands at the back of the court and can serve either over- or under-arm into the opponent’s side of the court
- The opposing team is allowed a maximum of three touches on their side of the court before they must send the ball back over the net
- The player cannot touch the ball twice in two consecutive touches but could on the first and third contact.
- The ball must be hit - not caught
- Whichever team wins the point then goes on to serve
- Every time your team wins the serve from the other team your players rotate their position on court – clockwise so that everyone gets a chance to serve
To support the building and operation of volleyball courts, Volleyball England offers a comprehensive document detailing recommended equipment, size and dimentions.