Young Coaches Development Programme
The Young Coaches Development Programme is a fantastic opportunity for young coaches aged 15-19 looking to gain experience in coaching, improve their coaching knowledge and meet likeminded young people. The action packed programme is made up of a four day residential organised by the Youth Sport Trust at Loughborough University, two national development days hosted by Volleyball England, access to Volleyball England’s annual Coaching Conference and further local and national opportunities.
What is the Young Coaches Development Programme?
The Young Coaches Development Programme kicks off with the Youth Sport Trust’s National Talent Camp, which is a four day residential taking place at Loughborough University from 16th-19th December 2016. This multisport camp brings together athletes, coaches and officials from 10 different sports to take part in exciting workshops, which last year ranged from examining ethics in sport to a demonstration and talk through of a live training session and match from the perspective of the athletes, coaches and officials taking part.
Places on this camp are fully funded. You will only need to cover your own travel costs to and from Loughborough University.
Following the National Talent Camp, Volleyball England will run a series of volleyball specific events for young coaches. These events will include a day at a National Squad training camp to observe the coaches and to take part in an exclusive Q&A session with the National Team Coaches; and a day on practically developing coaching skills such as drill management, giving feedback, what and how to coach and planning sessions.
Attendance at these events is funded by Volleyball England. You will only need to cover your own travel costs to and from the event locations and bring a packed lunch if specified.
Throughout the year, you will also be signposted to further local and national opportunities.
Who are we looking for?
We are looking for 15 young coaches, who meet the below selection criteria, to be part of the programme:
- In school years 11-13 (aged 15-19) for the 2016-17 academic year. No university students will be accepted onto the programme
- In full time education or training
- Available to attend the residential National Talent Camp at Loughborough University on 16th-19th December
- Currently coaching volleyball. This can be informally, e.g. as part of a lunch time club at school, or more formally e.g. as Level 1 qualified assistant coach at a club or similar
- Aspiring to become a future club coach or coach in the England Talent Pathway working with national team athletes or similar
- Committed to attend and engage in a programme of development featuring national development days, local opportunities and online learning
How to apply for the Programme
Complete and return the Young Coaches Development Programme application form (available to download here) by Friday 7th October 2016:
- Return via email to Fiona Sweetman, Workforce Officer: email@example.com
- Or return via post to: Workforce Officer, Volleyball England, SportPark, 3 Oakwood Drive, Loughborough, LE12 6LD
We will let you know the outcome of your application by the end of October.