UKCC Level 1 Award
The UKCC Level 1 Award in Coaching Volleyball (QCF) is suitable for those who are new to coaching, but who have some knowledge of the game and would like to learn how to apply that in a coaching environment. The qualification allows coaches to act as assistant coaches - a role which gives them the opportunity to focus on their own development and gain experience whilst working with a coach who is already qualified at Level 2 or higher.
What will I learn?
At the conclusion of the course, this award will enable a coach to:
- Have knowledge and understanding of the core coaching skills.
- Be able to plan and deliver sessions including warm up, cool down; fundamentals, postural control and ball handling.
- Have knowledge and understanding of game flow situations including attacking, defending and transition.
- Have knowledge of service and service reception.
- Monitor and evaluate coaching sessions.
- Demonstrate competence against UKCC/National standards for coaches.
What does the Level 1 Award qualify me to do?
Assistant Coach to ‘Assist more qualified coaches delivering aspects of coaching sessions (at any level or in any discipline), normally under direct supervision’ (as per UKCC guidelines).
Please note that the focus of the course will be around junior beginners (most is applicable in adult beginners).
What are the pre-requisites for entry onto the course?
Learners are required to:-
- Be at least 16 years of age on the first day of the course.
- Have some experience of playing the game.
- Be able to communicate effectively in English (This includes, listening, speaking, reading and writing)
Three day course consisting of 3 modules and a final assessment. The course is delivered in four phases:
- Phase 1 - Pre-course Induction and activities (2 hours).
- Phase 2 - Taught programme and on-going internal assessment (14 hours).
- Phase 3 - Reflection phase with on-going internal assessment (4 hours).
- Phase 4 - Independent assessment day (8 hours).
£190 per learner (including all course reference material and a year of Volleyball England membership).
There are a number areas in the country that can access funding to cover course fees. The subsidy can range from 25% to the full 100%. A comprehensive document with links on how to apply is provided below.
‘Funding Opportunities Guide for Coaches’
What resource will I receive?
All candidates will receive a high quality resource file including all assessments; this will act as a portfolio of evidence to support this qualification once submitted. In addition, a number of key references will be provided to support core learning outcomes including access to an on-line coach education website.
Learners booking onto a Volleyball England organised course will also receive 1 years free Coach Membership!
What Should I bring with me to the Course?
- Appropriate clothing for on-court practice.
- A pen and notebook - you will need to complete sections of your 1st4sport Qualifications Learner Pack (handed out on the day of the course) throughout the day and take notes when required.
- Your responses to the pre-course induction questions and tasks.
- Food and refreshments throughout the day.
How can I book onto a course?
A national list of courses is available on the Volleyball England Course Finder section of the website. All courses are run by 1st4sport Recognised Centres of which Volleyball England is one; and you must apply directly to that centre using their application process. This information is provided via the Course Finder.
For further information please contact the Volleyball England Hub via email or call 01509 227722