Go Spike Student Activator Award
What is an Activator?
The Go Spike Student Activator is a new role, aimed at increasing the number of students playing recreational volleyball on a regular basis at college or university. The Award aims to engage players of all abilities, keeping sessions fun and focusing on participation through challenges and adapted games. The Activator may have a coaching background but the role is to facilitate activity, not ‘coach’, and to develop personal leadership skills.
Who is the Go Spike Student Activator Award for?
The Activator Award is suitable for:
- Students looking to further their leadership skills
- Institutions looking to develop their recreational volleyball offer - participation may develop into inter-college/intramural league games
The Activator Award provides students with the tools to lead Go Spike receational sessions at their college or university and offers a taster into what leading a volleyball session may involve. The Award is one of the entry points on to the volleyball coaching pathway to take a UKCC Level One course.
What will you learn?
The Go Spike Student Activator Award course will cover the following themes:
- What makes a good Activator?
- Session Planning
- STEPs principle (Space, Task, Equipment, People)
- Practical: Challenges and Adapted Games
- Where next and participant retention
- Understanding Promotion
By the end of the Award you should be able to:
- Facilitate and lead volleyball activity with participants new to volleyball – or those already playing recreationally
- Enthuse people to build confidence, engage them and sustain their participation
- Work with an insitution to set up and run regular sessions; meet and greet participants and provide a social and welcoming atmosphere
- Introduce volleyball shots and rules
- Use STEPS to choose appropriate practices, games and equipment according to the playing level of the participants
Go Spike Student Activator Award Duration and Costs
The Go Spike Student Activator Award course is 3 hours long and can take place during a morning or afternoon. The course is £35.00 per student with each student receiving a Go Spike Student Award resource booklet of challenges and adapted games.
Please find in the top right hand corner of this page the Go Spike Student Role Description for further information
Students will need to come dressed for on court activity and bring a notebook and pen.
Following the completion of the Activator Award course, it is envisaged that students will deliver in their own institutitions however there is an option for the candidates to purchase Go Spike Insurance at £10.00 per person which includes professional indemity insurance.
Pre-requisites to attend the Award
- You need to be a minimum of 16 years of age
- Be passionate about increasing the number of people playing recreational volleyball
- Knowledge of volleyball is desirable